What is a DEXA scan?
The DEXA (dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry) scan is a state-of-the-art imaging technique that goes beyond the conventional equipment. It provides a comprehensive assessment of your bone health, measuring bone mineral density using low dose radiation. This non-invasive procedure aids our medical professionals in evaluating the strength and integrity of your bones, diagnosing patients with conditions such as osteoporosis and osteopenia.
Why is a DEXA scan ordered?
A DEXA scan may be ordered for our patients for several important reasons:
- Bone health assessment: The primary purpose of a DEXA scan is to assess bone health by measuring bone mineral density. This helps our healthcare professionals evaluate the strength and density of your bones, diagnosing conditions such as osteoporosis and determining the risk of fractures.
- Osteoporosis detection: The DEXA scan detects early signs of osteoporosis, a condition characterized by weakened bones. Identifying osteoporosis early allows for timely intervention and preventive measures to maintain bone health, and decrease fracture risks.
- Fracture risk evaluation: By assessing bone density, the scan helps us evaluate the risk of fractures. This is especially crucial for individuals at higher risk due to factors such as age, gender, family history, or certain medical conditions.
- Individualized treatment planning: The detailed information obtained from the DEXA Scan enables our healthcare team to develop personalized treatment plans. Whether it involves lifestyle modifications, nutritional recommendations, or specific medications, these plans are tailored to address your unique bone health needs.
- Monitoring treatment effectiveness: For patients undergoing treatment for bone-related conditions, such as osteoporosis, the DEXA scan serves as a valuable tool to monitor the effectiveness of the prescribed interventions over time.
- A DEXA scan is a proactive step towards understanding and optimizing your bone health. It empowers both you and our healthcare team to make informed decisions to enhance your overall well-being.
How should you prepare for your scan?
Preparing for a DEXA scan is a straightforward process. Here are some guidelines to ensure a smooth and accurate examination:
- Clothing: Wear comfortable clothing without any metal components, such as zippers, buttons, or metal jewelry, as these may interfere with the scan. We may provide you with a gown if needed.
- Inform the technologist: Let our technologist know if you have had any recent x-rays or scans involving contrast material, as this might affect the DEXA scan results.
- Supplements and medications: Inform our healthcare team about any supplements or medications you are taking, particularly calcium or vitamin D supplements. Certain medications may need to be adjusted before the scan.
- Metal objects: Remove any metal objects, such as belts, coins, or keys, from the areas being scanned. These can interfere with the accuracy of the results.
- Pregnancy or potential pregnancy: If you are pregnant or suspect that you might be pregnant, inform our healthcare team. Although the radiation exposure from a DEXA scan is minimal, we prioritize the safety of our patients.
DEXA scan is a quick and painless procedure, and our team at Hoskinson Health and Wellness Clinic is dedicated to providing a comfortable and positive experience. If you have any specific concerns or questions about the preparation process, feel free to reach out to our healthcare team for assistance. Your well-being is our priority throughout every step of your healthcare journey.
At Hoskinson Health and Wellness Clinic, we proudly utilize the cutting-edge Hologic Horizon A DEXA scanner to deliver precise and comprehensive bone health assessments. This state-of-the-art imaging technology sets the standard for dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, ensuring the highest level of accuracy in measuring bone mineral density. Our DEXA scan is efficient and reliable, allowing our healthcare team to obtain detailed insights into your skeletal health with minimal radiation exposure. This advanced scanner plays a pivotal role in our commitment to personalized care by facilitating early detection of conditions like osteoporosis and aiding in the formulation of tailored treatment plans.